Doctors Accepting New Patients
If you want to change your doctor or you are looking for a clinic that accepts new patients, come to Minit Medical Urgent Care. For more information, please call us or book an appointment. We have convenient locations to serve you in Kahului HI, Kihei HI and Lahaina HI.
Table of Contents:
It can be nerve-wracking, meet a potential new doctor for the first time. A doctor-patient relationship is unique: we put our faith and trust in a person that we don’t really know and share the most personal areas of our life with them (albeit confidentially), so it is imperative that we feel comfortable with the doctor from the get-go.
The first step is to have an initial “meet and greet” – an informal meeting at which you and the doctor can begin to get to know each other. An integral part of this process is knowing what questions to ask. The following are some suggestions from the National Institutes of Health that you may wish to consider:
– Is the doctor taking new patients?
– Are they a preferred provider under my insurance plan?
– Do they accept Medicare?
About the doctor:
– Is the doctor board-certified? If so, in what field?
– Is their sex, age, race, or religion important to me?
– Will language be a problem? Is there someone there who speaks my language?
Location of the Doctor’s Office:
– Is the location of the doctor’s office important to me? How far am I willing to travel?
– Is there parking? If so, is there ample parking, is it paid or is it free?
– Can I get to the office by using public transportation?
– Does the building have an elevator?
– Is it accessible for wheelchairs and walkers?
Doctor’s Office Policies:
– What days/hours does the doctor see patients?
– Does the doctor take phone calls?
– Does the doctor accept emailed questions? If so, is there a charge?
– Does the doctor ever make house calls?
– How far in advance would I have to make appointments?
– What’s the process for urgent care? How would I reach the doctor in an emergency?
– What happens after hours or when the doctor is away?
Of course, not all these questions will be relevant to your own particular circumstances, so you won’t need to ask them all, but it is important to be open and honest, and also be prepared to move on if something doesn’t feel right. Follow your instinct. Perhaps their communication style isn’t right for you, or they seem overworked or distracted? These are totally valid reasons to look elsewhere because, at the end of the day, your doctor should have you, and your health and well-being, as their number one priority.
Finding a good doctor in your area could be as simple as a Google search, however, caution must be taken in deciding which one to choose. Sites like Healthgrades give details such as a physician’s medical specialty, how long they have been practicing and if they are accepting new patients. You will also need to take into account any special considerations such as if they cater especially for women, or for seniors. As valuable as online research is, it is always a good idea to get personal recommendations as well from family, trusted friends or another healthcare professional such as a pharmacist or physiotherapist. When you have narrowed the field, you may wish to call around and ask questions similar to those above, which might give you a better idea of who the doctor/practice is and if they would be a good fit.
At Minit Medical Urgent Care we are always pleased to accept new patients! We respect the trust our patients put in us and we are committed to providing each and every one with the highest level of care and attention. If you are looking for a new doctor, then look no further than Minit Medical Urgent Care! We will be happy to answer any questions you may have and hope to meet you soon! We serve patients from Lahaina HI, Kahului HI, Kihei HI, Launiupoko HI, Olowalu Hi, Wailuku HI, Kula HI, Makawao HI, Paia HI, Wailea HI, Haiku HI and Waihee-Waiehu HI.