What Are 10 Ways to Manage Stress?
It can be difficult to manage stress; however, with the help or professional physicians at Minit Medical Urgent Care. For more information, please call us or book an appointment. We have convenient locations to serve you in Kahului HI, Kihei HI, and Lahaina HI.
Table of Contents:
If you are dealing with high levels of stress, you are then putting your entire well-being at risk. While stress is natural, and a part of being human, you need to ensure you have stress management under control to help you feel less stressed a lot faster. There are different types of stress that many can be triggered by which are:
– Aches and pains
– Chest pain, a sensation of your heart is racing
– Issues sleeping or exhaustion
– Dizziness, headaches, or shaking
– High blood pressure
– Jaw clenching or muscle tension
– Digestive or stomach issues
– Troubles with having sex
– Weak immune system
– Panic attacks
– Irritable or anxiety
Being able to recognize a stressful situation occurring and changing your ways to ensure you are focusing on how you are managing and reacting to the stress is key. There are a few ways you are able to reduce your chronic stress including:
– Re-balance your Home and Work life
If you are so focused on all work and no home life, you are spending too much time within the office, intentionally putting more dates in the calendar for fun, spending time with others, and alone time.
– Build in Regular Exercise
Getting regular exercise and moving your body will help balance the nervous system and increase blood circulation while helping to flush out any stressful hormones.
– Eat Healthy and Limit your Alcohol Consumption and Stimulants
Nicotine, alcohol, and caffeine can temporarily cause stress relief, but they also have negative impacts that can make your stress much worse in the long haul. Well-nourished bodies allow you to cope better, starting off the day with a good breakfast, more organic vegetables, and fruits, avoiding any processed foods and sugars, and drinking more water will all help.
– Connect with Supportive People
Spending time talking to others face to face can help to release hormones that reduce stress. Start to lean on the good listeners within your life for support.
– Carve out time for Hobbies
Find out hobbies that you enjoy including listening to music, gardening, or reading, as well as other creative outlets. It will allow you to engage in activities to bring you more joy and pleasure, which can reduce stress by almost half and help to lower your heart rate.
– Practice Stress Reduction, Meditation, and/or Yoga
There are many relaxation techniques that you can do to help activate and state restfulness to counterbalance the body’s fight or flight hormones to ignite. Try mindfulness-based practices for stress reduction including yoga and meditation.
– Getting enough Sleep/Rest
Your body will be unable to tolerate stress if you are not getting more than 7 to 8 hours of sleep. If your stress is keeping you up at night, you should work to address the reasoning why you are stressed, and add extra meditation to your daily life.
– Bonding with your Animals
Spending a bit of time with animals can help cut anxiety levels in half.
– Take a Vacation
Being able to get away from work for a while can help reset stress tolerance by increasing your emotional and mental outlook, which will allow you to be happier, and a much more productive person upon returning.
– See a Therapist, Counselor, or Coach
If you begin to have overwhelming thoughts and struggle to make positive changes, it is time to seek professional help.
Managing your stress levels can help your body and mind to adapt to high levels of stress, and allow you to over time, deal with stress as it comes, but you won’t allow it to damage your health, your quality of life, or relationships due to the effective ways you have managed stress.
A few tips that can help you to avoid stress include:
– Take care of yourself by avoiding alcohol and drugs, getting enough rest, regular exercise, and eating a well-balanced diet.
– Engaging in relaxation techniques that you enjoy like meditation, yoga, prayer, breathing exercises, or swimming.
– Take breaks when you need to help re-energize and re-organize your thoughts and focus.
– Seek out support through supportive friends, family, a partner, physician, doctor, or clergyperson, which can help you lighten your mental load.
– Connecting with others on a social level.
– Maintaining a regular routine by going to bed at the same time each night, getting up each morning at the same time, and continuing to eat three to six meals each day.
– Giving back to others including helping a friend or community service.
To book an appointment for stress management, call us at either of our locations or visit us online. We serve patients from Lahaina HI, Kahului HI, Kihei HI, Launiupoko HI, Olowalu Hi, Wailuku HI, Kula HI, Makawao HI, Paia HI, Wailea HI, Haiku HI and Waihee-Waiehu HI.