Urgent care clinics function as a hybrid between primary care clinics and emergency rooms, as they accept walk-in appointments but do not treat life-threatening medical emergencies. With that in mind, the doctors at urgent care clinics have just as much expertise and training as those in primary care clinics and emergency rooms. Our top-rated doctors at Minit Medical Urgent Care have board certifications and specialties in family medicine, emergency medicine, dermatological medicine, osteopathic medicine, and occupational medicine.
What should I go to urgent care for?
If you are dealing with any injury or illness that is not life-threatening but requires same-day medical attention, an urgent care clinic is an excellent place to go to receive high-quality medical care. Urgent care clinics are also a great place to go for various healthcare services if you do not have a primary care physician.
While urgent care clinics are not equipped to treat life-threatening medical emergencies, they can provide numerous services and treatments for diverse conditions and medical needs. At Minit Medical Urgent Care, you can visit us for any of the following services or treatments:
- Abdominal pain
- Allergies and allergic reactions
- Animal and insect bites and stings
- Anxiety, depression, and stress
- Asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, and other respiratory illnesses
- Auto accident injuries
- Back sprains
- Bladder infections and urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Botox injections and dermal fillers
- Bracing and casts for broken bones, dislocations, sprains, and strains
- Cold and flu
- Cosmetic and dermatological issues, such as acne, fine lines and wrinkles, skin laxity, and more
- Burns, rashes, and skin infections
- Digital X-ray, electrocardiogram (EKG), and laboratory services
- Ear and eye infections
- Ear wax removal
- Flu shots and immunizations
- Foreign object and splinter removal
- Intense pulsed light (IPL) laser treatment
- Latisse treatment for hypotrichosis (inadequate or not enough lashes)
- Marine stings
- Migraines and tension headaches
- Nail injuries
- Pediatric care
- Physical exams, including annual physicals, Department of Transportation (DOT) physicals, school and sports physicals,
- and others
- Physical therapy
- Sinus infections
- Sexually transmitted disease (STD) testing and treatment
- Stomach flu (gastroenteritis)
- Sutures for cuts and lacerations
- Vaginal bleeding
- Wart removal
- Worker’s compensation injury and illness management
What is the difference between a walk-in clinic and urgent care?
Walk-in clinics and urgent care clinics function in very similar ways! Both medical facilities routinely accept walk-in appointments, and neither treat life-threatening medical emergencies. With that being said, urgent care clinics can typically treat more conditions and provide more advanced services than walk-in clinics. Whereas walk-in clinics can treat minor illnesses and injuries, urgent care clinics can treat illnesses and injuries that are more severe but not life-threatening. As a result, urgent care clinics conduct patient evaluations for each person who visits the clinic to determine if they should wait in line or be treated upon arrival.
What is better, urgent care or ER?
Both urgent care clinics and emergency rooms provide essential healthcare services. As such, the question of which is better comes down to a case-by-case basis, with specific regard to the severity of a person’s injury or illness. In the case of an injury or illness that is considered a life-threatening medical emergency, the emergency room is the better option ten times out of ten. However, if the injury or illness is not life-threatening and does not require surgery, an urgent care clinic is most likely the better option. Since urgent care clinics do not treat life-threatening medical emergencies, they can typically see patients experiencing non-life-threatening illnesses or injuries much quicker than emergency rooms.
If you would like to have an appointment with one of our top-rated urgent care doctors, visit Minit Medical Urgent Care. We serve patients from Lahaina HI, Kahului HI, Kihei HI, Launiupoko HI, Olowalu HI, Wailuku HI, Kula HI, Makawao HI, Paia HI, Wailea HI, Haiku HI, and Waihee-Waiehu HI.